Indians set up barricades to prevent the eviction of the village Maracanã

Today at 08:17-Updated today at 08:40

Indians set up barricades to prevent the eviction of the village Maracanã

Jornal do Brazil Henry of Almdeida
maracana2 Photo: Vitor Silva/Jornal do Brazil

With the deadline determined by the Federal Court that the Indians leave the village Maracana (formerly Indian Museum), in the northern zone of Rio, the expectation grows among the occupants of the building. They set up barricades with sticks and stones to try to prevent the entry of police officers on site. The deadline for the eviction ended at 11:59 pm on Wednesday (20) but, so far, the police has not yet acted. About 20 people are in place, and the Chief of the village, Tukano, tries to contact the public defender’s Office to prevent removal.

After much controversy and manifestation of important artists and to the Minister of culture, Marta Suplicy, the State Government withdrew to demolish the old Indian Museum, but decided that location will house the Olympic Museum. The demolition would form part of the works around Maracanã Stadium for the 2014 World Cup. On site would be built a parking lot.

maracana1  

Indians resist the evacuation of the village Maracanã, the North of the River, after deadline determined by Justice for the withdrawal. Photo: Vitor Silva/Jornal do Brazil

  

Resistance

At a meeting between representatives of the various indigenous ethnic groups of the village Maracanã, on Wednesday afternoon, had already been decided that they will remain in place until the arrival of police and government agents in the State.

“We decided to stay in the village until the last minute and hope that the US Government take from here,” said one of the members of the dome of the Village Maracanã, Alfonso Apurinã. The Indians promise to resist the arrival of State agents peacefully

Also one of the village leaders Maracanã, José Guajajara says that the climate among the Indians is of peace and that every action will be peaceful indigenous.

The controversy

Last Friday (15), the Federal Court determined a period of 72 hours for the Indians out of the place, which would exhaust in last Monday (18). However, in the interpretation of the judge of the 8th Federal Court, Faouzi Pessanha, this term only began to be counted from the second (18), the first working day after the determination of dumping.

The decision, which ordered the evacuation of the building was ordered by the Federal Court, because the Government of Rio had entered with a writ of possession warrant the building, purchased by the national supply company (Conab).

On the order, the public defender Daniel Macedo Union joined in the Federal Court of the 2nd region (TRF2) with a resource of interlocutory appeal, asking for more 15 days of term, in addition to the 72 hours laid down by the Federal Court. However, the appeal was denied by federal judge Renato Pessanha and, at any time, the Indians can be evicted from the property.

Mobilization

In addition to the Minister of Cultuta, Marta Suplicy, Caetano Veloso, Chico Buarque, Milton Nascimento, Letícia Sabatella and Teresa Seiblitz has also openly declared support for the cause. In an article in the Globe, Caetano criticized the “vulgarity that round the current state administration”. Chico Buarque already attacked the decision of the Government, which also reaches the stadium Celio de Barros, Júlio Delamare Park and the Municipal School Friedenreich. Milton Nascimento claims to be “completely against” the idea of demolishing the historic building for the construction of works of urban mobility aiming at the World Cup. According to Milton, very little is done in this country to preserve the memory of the Indians.

One thought on “Indians set up barricades to prevent the eviction of the village Maracanã

  1. update~
    With the deadline determined by the Federal Court that the Indians leave the village Maracana (formerly Indian Museum), in the northern zone of Rio, the expectation grows among the occupants of the building. They set up barricades with sticks and stones to try to prevent the entry of police officers on site. The deadline for the eviction ended at 11:59 pm on Wednesday (20) However, the State Secretariat for Social assistance and Human Rights (SEASDH) reported that until this Saturday (23) is suspended any action or removal in the village, which meant that the climate among the Indians was more quiet, without the concern of the police invasion.
    Earlier this morning, about 20 people were already in place, and the Chief of the village, Tukano, tried to contact the public defender’s Office to prevent removal. The Defender Daniel Macedo, holder of the second Office of human rights and Guardianship of Briefing the public defender of the Union (DPU) stated that, in principle, would go to the village early in the morning to see if they were being fulfilled the terms of issuance of writ of possession, but with the suspension of the shares, it will come later to present a new proposal made by the Government of the village esrado.

    This time, the State Government offered to the Indians the lodgings in 33 rooms of hotel Santana, located in the Centre, until a definitive place for the members of the village, but so far, this offer was also rejected by indigenous people. According to Macedo, this is an offer totally incompatible with the needs of the Indians, however, still he goes to the village to present photos and the conditions under which encontral the hotel offered by the Government.
    After much controversy and manifestation of important artists and to the Minister of culture, Marta Suplicy, the State Government withdrew to demolish the old Indian Museum, but decided that location will house the Olympic Museum. The demolition would form part of the works around Maracanã Stadium for the 2014 World Cup. On site would be built a parking lot.

    Issuance of writ of possession

    According to the proponent, the removal of the local Indians will need that come two bailiffs with the warrant which determines that the village delivered the area and, as part of the judgment, there is resistance from the Indians, this cannot be answered with violence, even though there are shock battalion’s presence in space.

    A concern of Daniel is the question of how the State will comply with the warrant if the indigenous resistance is more than expected.

    According to the lawyer, a hypothesis, still unconfirmed, that gains strength would be the ability to get a plot of land in the neighborhood of Jacarepaguá, West zone of the city. The idea is that there were constructed accommodation under specific conditions for the Indians if sheltering.

    Conflict in choosing the location of the meeting

    A few minutes before the arrival of the public defesor, Daniel Macedo, who intended to get around 11:0 in the village, there was a tension between the Indians. The lawyer wanted to promote a meeting with the village leaders and representatives of the Secretariat of State for Social assistance and Human Rights out of space of Village Maracana, but some Indians do not want to leave the place, for fear of the police invasion.

    Potoo guajajara, one of the leaders of one of the ethnic groups in the village, said he does not intend to meet with authorities outside the village, reiterating that the meeting will only happen if it is there inside.

    Resistance

    At a meeting between representatives of the various indigenous ethnic groups of the village Maracanã, on Wednesday afternoon, had already been decided that they will remain in place until the arrival of police and government agents in the State.

    “We decided to stay in the village until the last minute and hope that the US Government take from here,” said one of the members of the dome of the Village Maracanã, Alfonso Apurinã. The Indians promise to resist the arrival of State agents peacefully

    Also one of the village leaders Maracanã, José Guajajara says that the climate among the Indians is of peace and that every action will be peaceful indigenous.

    The controversy

    Last Friday (15), the Federal Court determined a period of 72 hours for the Indians out of the place, which would exhaust in last Monday (18). However, in the interpretation of the judge of the 8th Federal Court, Faouzi Pessanha, this term only began to be counted from the second (18), the first working day after the determination of dumping.

    The decision, which ordered the evacuation of the building was ordered by the Federal Court, because the Government of Rio had entered with a writ of possession warrant the building, purchased by the national supply company (Conab).

    On the order, the public defender Daniel Macedo Union joined in the Federal Court of the 2nd region (TRF2) with a resource of interlocutory appeal, asking for more 15 days of term, in addition to the 72 hours laid down by the Federal Court. However, the appeal was denied by federal judge Renato Pessanha and, at any time, the Indians can be evicted from the property.

    Mobilization

    In addition to the Minister of Cultuta, Marta Suplicy, Caetano Veloso, Chico Buarque, Milton Nascimento, Letícia Sabatella and Teresa Seiblitz has also openly declared support for the cause. In an article in the Globe, Caetano criticized the “vulgarity that round the current state administration”. Chico Buarque already attacked the decision of the Government, which also reaches the stadium Celio de Barros, Júlio Delamare Park and the Municipal School Friedenreich. Milton Nascimento claims to be “completely against” the idea of demolishing the historic building for the construction of works of urban mobility aiming at the World Cup. According to Milton, very little is done in this country to preserve the memory of the Indians.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: